wtorek, 17 listopada 2009

the charms of descriptive grammar


The more boring it gets, the more creative you get. And by you I probably mean me.

Also, apart from pursuing my artistic skills in the waiting-room of an allegedly renown 80-something-year-old doctoress (out with 'she-doctors'!), I've become some sort of a lost property office recently. It hasn't even been full two weeks since I found X's* poster (and semi-successfully returned it) and what should I find on a Monday morning like yesterday's? Yes! Indeed! A watch! I have no idea what to think about it. It seems it wasn't even properly lost, it was put down on my desk for some reason and then um... failed to be reclaimed by its rightful owner? (Well, at least in Latin you can go passive with everything) Anyway, strange business. I've put up a notice, but, truth be known*, I shouldn't have taken the watch. It must have a bug. It must be now recording for posterity how far my obsession with Modest Mouse has gone. I suppose it is disappointing to find out I don't really talk to myself, 'cept for some nasty swearwords I'm likely to blurt on occasion.

(Do people who are full of beans spill the beans more often than people who don't know beans about being full of beans? This is a subject open to debate which you will not, of course, pick up.) (and should dots be inside or outside brackets? And should I start a sentence in the brackets with a capital letter? And how should I then presume? And how should I begin?)

Oh! And while on the subject - 'The Family Reunion' is not nearly as good as I had presumed, although it has its moments. Even if Eliot sometimes fails to deliver, it's always worth reading for the wails and the shiver. (or tails to the liver. faints to the fever. saints and the quiver. Erm... alright, it ceased to be impressive.)

[you will need it one day]

*protecting etc. Actually, I shouldn't, since I was promised jellies in return for returning the lost property and so far received nothing but thanks. (hence 'semi-') Thanks! I can't feed my children with thanks, now, can I! And since I've already skipped so many of my German classes, it follows I must be pregnant. (I guess it's not Harry, it's Frau W. who knows better)

*yes I love showing off with newly-learnt words and expressions!


But how can I explain, how can I explain to you?
You will understand less after I have explained it.
All that I could hope to make you understand
Is only events: not what has happened.
And people to whom nothing has ever happened
Cannot understand the unimportance of events.

I can only speak
And you cannot hear me. I can only speak
So you may not think I conceal an explanation,
And to tell you that I would have liked to explain.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz